Animal Control

I have a problem with a wild animal, who should I call?

If there is an animal running at large, you should call Animal Control first (during normal business hours).  If it is during after-hours, then you may call the Police Department.

Schultz’s Nuisance Wildlife Control (815) 631-6877
Twin Rivers Animal Damage Control (815) 622-1853 or (309) 659-2662

Animal Control is handled by the Whiteside County Health Department in Rock Falls. You can reach Animal Control at (815) 625-3507.  The Sterling Police Department Dispatch can be reached at (815) 632-6640.

Can my cat or dog roam free outside?
No, cats as well as dogs are not allowed to run at large.  The City Ordinance relating to animals at large reads:

(a) It is unlawful for the owner or keeper of any dog or cat to permit such dog or cat to run at large within the city limits. The owner or keeper of any dog or cat shall not permit such dog or cat to go beyond the premises of the owner or keeper unless such dog or cat is securely leashed or otherwise securely restrained and at all times under the control of its owner or keeper.

(b) A fine of $50.00 will be levied against the owner of the animal caught running at large. After the second offense within a one-year period, the fine will be assessed at $100.00. The fine for the third and any subsequent offenses within a one-year period will be $150.00.

Is there anything I can do about my neighbor’s noisy animal(s)?
According to Sec. 14-5 in the City’s Ordinances, It shall be unlawful to harbor or keep any animals which disturb the peace by loud noises at any time of the day or night.

How many cats and dogs may I keep?
You may have 3 total animals.  Sec. 14-9(c) of the City’s Ordinances states: It is hereby declared a nuisance and unlawful for any person to keep or harbor four or more dogs or cats, or dogs and cats, upon or within their place of residence within the city, except for dogs or cats, or dogs and cats, under the age of ten weeks. Such nuisance shall be subject to summary abatement by any police officer or poundmaster.

Do I have to have a license for my pets?
Yes.  Sec. 14-32 of the City’s Ordinances states: Every owner of a dog, four months or more of age, not confined at all times to an enclosed area and thereby rendered incapable of scratching or biting any person, including the owner, shall cause the dog to be inoculated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian at such intervals as may be established pursuant to the Animal Control Act, 510 ILCS 5/1 et seq.

There are feral cats in my neighborhood.  What can I do?
You cannot keep non-domesticated animals.  Sec. 14-3 of the City’s Ordinances states:  

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to own, possess, harbor, sell or in any manner to traffic in the following species of animals:

(1) All poisonous snakes and poisonous reptiles, gila monsters, alligators, crocodiles and caimans.

(2) Gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans, baboons, and any other primates.

(3) Any species of feline not falling within the categories of ordinary domesticated house cats (felis catus) as established by the American Cat Association and/or the American Cat Fancier Association.

(4) Bear of any species.

(5) Raccoons, porcupines, skunks, badgers and other forbearing animals, except ferrets (mustels furo).

(6) Foxes, wolves, coyotes or other species of canines other than canis familiaris.